Today's Verse from Heartlight (NIV)

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Who can serve God?

I was reading this morning in Luke chapter 1 and was greatly impressed by Mary, the mother of Jesus. Some specualate that when the angel first aproached her she could/would have been only about 12 years old. Luke tells us "God is very pleased with you (Mary)." Words I would like to hear... read with me:

Lk 1:26 In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee,
Lk 1:27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary.
Lk 1:28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
Lk 1:29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be.
Lk 1:30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God.
Lk 1:31 You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus.
Lk 1:32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,
Lk 1:33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.”
Lk 1:34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
Lk 1:35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.
Lk 1:36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month.
Lk 1:37 For nothing is impossible with God.”
Lk 1:38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May it be to me as you have said.” Then the angel left her.

What struck me was something I read in the NIV Application Comentary about this passage. Let me share it with you and give it some thought this day...

Mary reflects the person whom God unexpectedly chooses to use. She brings no outstanding credentials to the task and lives on the edge of the nation. She brings nothing on her résumé other than her availability and willingness to serve. But those characteristics are the most basic ones anyone can offer God. So he puts her to use in his plan, taking her through a process for which she has had no training or preparation. He simply promises to be with her in the journey, and she responds by being willing to go on the ride.

I think for me, this is an encouraging story that Luke lays out for us. It reminds me once again that my service to my Father is not about me. Not about how much I know or how great an article I write or lesson I prepare or present. It is about being available and willing to have God my Father use me in HIS PLAN. That often looks quite different than my plan... I know that it looked different than what Mary thought lay ahead of her in her marriage to Joseph. But she was ready and willing to do it God's way... even at such a young age. Today I ask you, are you available and willing to be used by God? Are you willing to do it God's way? A good friend once told me (thanks Don), that when we "let go and let God" we better have our roller skates on, because it is quite a ride. I hope you will be encouraged by these words from Luke today like I was. God bless and be used by Him today!
Mark

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How nice to be reminded.